The Coloured Women’s Club of Montreal was founded in 1902 by seven American women whose husbands worked for the railroad as porters, some of whom were doctors and educators but could not find work in their respective professional fields in the United States.
Alienated in their new environment and because other groups were not open to Black women, these ladies decided to form a social club of their own and set themselves the goal of assisting and supporting the Black Community in the Montreal area. It was in response to specific needs of their community (St. Antoine district, today called ‘Little Burgundy’) that The Coloured Women’s Club was created.
They were emulating the actions of their sisters south of the border, the National Association of Colored Women’s Clubs (NACWC) founded in Washington, DC on July 21, 1896, by Harriet Tubman, Ida B. Wells and Mary Church Terrell, among others.
In 1907 the Coloured Women’s Club played a significant role in the inception of Union United (Montreal’s oldest Black Church).